|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term Abroad||Year||Application Deadline||Decision Date||Program Start Date||Program End Date|
** Students will be notified of acceptance by email and through their online application.
|Minimum GPA:||2.5||Housing:||Home Stay, Hotel|
|Language of Instruction:||Spanish||Program Type:||GSU|
|Program Director:||Dr. Victoria Rodrigo||Sponsoring College:||College of Arts & Sciences|
|Sponsoring Department:||Modern and Classical Languages||Credit Type:||GSU Credit|
|Credit Level:||Undergraduate Credit|
The Program: The Georgia State University program of Spanish Studies in Granada, Spain, is an exciting six-week program for undergraduate students. The purpose of the program is to provide students with an opportunity to improve their command of the Spanish language and to be in contact with the culture and speakers of the language by immersion in a native environment. Students will attend classes at the Centro de Lenguas Modernas at the University of Granada..
Testimonials from former students:
"I would recommend that everyone and anyone interested in Spanish as a language or the culture take advantage of the study abroad program and apply to the Spanish Studies in Granada program; you won’t be disappointed."
"Spain was truly a beautiful, unique place, and I am so glad that I had a chance to live in this country and experience a new culture."
"This program taught way more than a language... it truly taught me to appreciate a new culture as well as embrace my own."
"Thanks to the kindness of my fellow travelers, I found a new sense of self, and the confidence I needed."
CULTURAL ACTIVITIES, TRIPS AND EXCURSIONS
The program will feature many historic destinations and cultural activities such as:
• In Granada: Alhambra and Generalife, Catedral and Capilla Real, Albaicín y Sacromonte, a day trip to Las Alpujarras, cultural tour of the city's most interesting points, and other cultural activities
• In Seville (2 nights): Alcázar de Sevilla, Giralda,Catedral, Barrio de Santa Cruz.
• In Madrid (6 nights): Museo del Prado, Museo de Reina Sofía, Palacio de Oriente, Madrid de los Austrias y de los Borbones.
• In Córdoba: Mezquita, Sinagoga, Judería (barriojudío de Córdoba)
• Farewell dinner
• Other cultural activities (to be announced upon availability – last year included the Spanish National Ballet: Carmen)
Eligibility: The program is open to undergraduate students who have a minimum GPA of 2.5 and have completed at least two semesters of Spanish at college level or the equivalent (Spanish 1001 and 1002 at Georgia State University). Program size is limited and participation is contingent upon acceptance by the Program Director.
*International students at Georgia State who hold F-1 visas must contact the Office of International Students and Scholar Services at 404-413-2070 to discuss possible implications of study abroad for their immigration status.
Courses and Credit: Participants who successfully complete the program's two courses will receive six semester hours of credit at Georgia State University. The credit will be in Spanish for selected 2000, 3000 or 4000 level courses. Students from other institutions should follow their institution's regulations concerning transfer credits.
Accommodations: Participants will live with selected Spanish families in Granada. This unique experience will allow them to strengthen their language skills, improve competence in the target language, and be immersed in the culture of Spain. The host families will provide three meals per day and laundry service. In Madrid and Sevilla, students will stay in double-occupancy rooms.
Tentative Itinerary for 2015:
April 24 Mandatory orientation
May 25 Departure from Atlanta to Madrid
May 26-27 Madrid
May 28 Depart to Granada. Meet your host family
May 29-June 30 Granada
July 1-2 Seville
July 3-4 Madrid
July 5 Departure from Madrid to Atlanta
Costs: Program Fee $3899*; tuition for 6 credit hours, please see Tuition Rates; and mandatory student fees (only the BOR Institutional fee and Technology fee).
If you are a non-GA resident student, you will receive the in-state tuition rate for the study abroad course. There is a $250 fee attached to this study abroad in-state tuition waiver. This waiver does not happen automatically. Please first register for the course and then let your Program Director know you are a non-GA resident.
*Program fee includes
• Accommodation with selected families in Granada
(includes three meals a day and laundry service)
• Ground transportation by bus and AVE (high-speed train) for excursions, trips and transfers
• Hotels: two nights in Seville and four nights in Madrid in three- and four-star hotels
• Trips, excursions and entrance fees to monuments and museums in Granada, Seville, Córdoba and Madrid
• One-day trip to Cordoba and one-day trip to Las Alpujarras
• University of Granada fees and University of Granada student ID card
• Access to University of Granada facilities: libraries,e-mail, language laboratory, video library, computer lab,sport facilities and language exchange program
• Health/Evacuation/Repatriation insurance
**Program fee does NOT include
• Georgia State University tuition and fees (HOPE is applicable)
• Out-of-state/Nonresident fee ($250)
• Food in Madrid and Seville
• Personal expenses and excess baggage charges
February 5, 2015 - $250 deposit with application
March 15,2015 - $2,000 payment
April 15, 2015 - remaining balance
(All payments are non-refundable upon receipt.)
Contact: Dr. Victoria Rodrigo, Department of Modern & Classical Languages, College of Arts & Sciences