Global Experience Scholarship
This scholarship will provide opportunities to deserving students by offering substantial award amounts of up to $5,000 for Maymester or Summer programs, $7,500 for Fall or Spring semesters abroad, and $15,000 for an Academic Year, depending on financial need and program costs. Don't miss out on a wonderful opportunity to fund your study abroad program!
The Georgia State University Global Experience Scholarship (GES) was developed out of the existing International Education Fee (IEF) Study Abroad Scholarship Program and is funded by the mandatory international education student fee paid by all Georgia State University students. While the IEF scholarship seeks to aid as many students as possible, the GES offers increased funding to students with demonstrable financial need.
The general Scholarship Deadlines are:
Spring - mid-October
Summer/Maymester - mid-February
Fall/Academic Year - mid-April
Applicants must be enrolled in and working toward completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree or certificate at Georgia State University. Post-baccalaureate students are not eligible for the GES.
A minimum institutional GPA of 2.75 is required for undergraduate students.
A minimum institutional GPA of 3.5 is required for graduate students.
You must have an institutional GPA in order to apply for this scholarship.
Applicants must have financial need as determined by the FAFSA and the Financial Aid Office. Applicants must have completed their FAFSA and financial aid application at the time of applying for GES. Applicants are responsible for checking with the Financial Aid Office to ensure that all parts of their financial aid application have been received.
Applicants cannot use the Global Experience Scholarship for study abroad programs in which overseas experience is built into the cost and structure of the degree program (for example the Global MBA Program). If you don't fill out the FAFSA, you are not eligible for this scholarship.
Preference will be given to applicants with minimal or no international travel experience, however any student may apply.
Students may apply more than once but can only receive the scholarship once.
***Please be aware that meeting eligibility requirements and submitting an application does not guarantee an award***
The following will be taken into consideration when determining ranking for the award:
- Institutional GPA
- Financial need as determined by the financial aid package
- Faculty recommendation
Most components of the application are now online. You only need to turn in your recommendation form.
In 4,000 characters, you will address the following questions:
- Why did you choose this program/location?
- How will participation in this program affect your future?
You are free to allocate your words as you choose, but do make sure that you address both questions in your response.
Students must request one Faculty Recommendation. Recommendations are also due on the deadline, so make sure to ask your recommenders early. Recommendations should come from a faculty member (or graduate/teaching assistant if that is who the student had class with) from GSU. If you cannot find someone who fits those requirements, you must get prior clearance from the Study Abroad Programs office. We will help you select an appropriate recommender; do not simply choose someone yourself.
All applicants will participate in group interviews to be scheduled in the two to three weeks following the scholarship application deadline. Interview times will be sent out with an understanding that some students will not be able to come during normal business hours. As such, there will be evening and weekend interview times. The interview is a required part of the application process. We will do everything possible to accommodate everyone, but please know that you are expected to make the effort to participate.
The following items can be considered in your scholarship award amount: Program Cost, Airfare, Room & Board, Ground Transportation, Student Visa, Mandatory Travel Insurance. These costs are taken from the GSU program information or the costs provided by a 3rd party provider. Maximum award amounts are based on program length.
|up to 2 weeks
|Academic Year (Fall + Spring)
All scholarship recipients are required to participate in a post-program service program for the purposes of scholarship and program promotion. In addition to the service opportunities already offered via the IEF scholarship, GES recipients are also able to speak about their study abroad experiences at various study abroad events (e.g. How to Afford Study Abroad workshop, Study Abroad Fair, etc.) and at classroom presentations. The service requirement is coordinated through the Study Abroad Programs Office, and must be completed during the year following the study abroad program. If a student is unable to perform this requirement, repayment of the scholarship will be arranged.
• Cover letters, resumes, personal references, etc. are not required for this scholarship. Do not submit any of these with your application, as they will not be considered.
• Students participating in non-GSU programs must complete the Transfer Credit Approval Form and the Consortium Agreement before awards can be disbursed.
• Students must complete all necessary paperwork with the Office of Student Financial Aid before awards can be disbursed. Check with our office for info on which forms are required. Check with the Financial Aid Office to ensure they have received your financial aid application and FAFSA.
• In the event that a student must cancel his or her participation in a program for any reason, the student is required to notify Study Abroad Programs immediately. Charges for awards that are disbursed prior to cancellations will be assessed against the student's student account with a hold placed on registration and graduation until the funds are recovered.
• Students may apply for both the Global Experience and IEF scholarships for the same term, but only one will be awarded. The GES application will be given priority; if the applicant is not awarded the GES, they will then be considered for the IEF scholarship if a complete and separate IEF application was submitted.
• GES awards can not be combined with Gilman, Boren, Critical Language Scholarship, RCB scholarships, or other scholarships processed through Financial Aid. If you are awarded any of these scholarships, your GES award amount will at the very least have to be reduced as we are limited by Financial Aid in the total amount of aid we can award to any given student.
• Scholarship awards cannot be used for tuition.
• Late applications will not be accepted. In order to ensure fairness and to process awards in a timely manner, there will be no exceptions to this rule.
Questions about the Global Experience Scholarship or application process should be the Study Abroad Programs office at 404-413-2529.
Disbursement of funds
• Please Note: In most cases scholarship funds will not be released before students must pay tuition and program fees and in some cases not before students depart for their programs. Students are responsible for covering all such expenses directly and the scholarship will serve as a reimbursement. Federal regulations control this process.
• Students will be notified of their award via email and must respond promptly with acceptance of the scholarship terms.
• After the deadline, a list of recipients will be forwarded to the Office of Student Financial Aid, where the awards will be processed. Should there be an outstanding debt owed to the university, this amount will be deducted from the award, and the remaining balance disbursed directly to the student either by direct deposit or by check at the same time as their financial aid disbursement. Under no circumstance will the funds be disbursed directly to a student's program.
• Please check with our office if funds are not received within the timeline described above. Any problems relating to non-receipt of funds must be resolved within two semesters of student's program abroad. After this time, any funds not received by the student will be unrecoverable.